Wednesday, June 28

Sly FOX



Picnickers, watch out for your sandwiches! That old sly fox is out and about, ready to pick off whatever you leave around. He's not picky, you know?

I had fun scratching in lines for this in the background. In fact, I started with covering it all in an orange and then scribbling vertical yellow lines from top to bottom to get that feeling of bristle hair. After almost finishing this piece though, I decided it was lacking depth, so added the dark brown to the top and the right where his left shoulder might be. Of course, that meant re-scribbling yellow and now orange lines above it. This was all done at a very frenetic pace with me working fast and furiously, really focusing my passions on each of the 100s, if not 1000s of strokes! I wanted this to be quite impressionistic yet somehow stylized regally, making his nose very long and straight, adding a glorious white mane, if you will, and so on.

Happy with the overall results (although it could always be better), I'm planning to offer this as a 6"x4" card in my shop at some latter point. Oh, and kudos if you can find my signature! (Hint: it's scrawled in red.)

OK, time now to stop skulking about! Grab your goodies and come join me down the fox hole to see who or what else we might discover...

P.S.  It's way past time to do another give-away so be sure to sign up! Don't worry though, I'm keeping track. Reminder: you get one entry per theme entered since last giveaway and, remember, there are other ways to increase your chances too! Maybe you will be that lucky sly fox this time around? :) Check back here later for some details on the prize on hand. Fun! :)


SHARE:

17 comments

  1. This is one of my favourites of yours, wow! It will be great as a card. Still looking for the signature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice your name until you mentioned it, I suppose if I get to look at it at very large size, I might have caught it quicker. is at the top right, right?

    I like this frenzy scribble style of drawing. it's exactly what I would do. it really seems there are a lot of strokes and I think that's what make this work & the colors are just wonderful!

    will post my link later.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great result and very beautiful work indeed. I believe your name is scribbled at the top right corner just above the ear? Greetings to you and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome!!! i couldn't find your signature! glad that others did and gave me a hint !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love him. His golden eyes and all his brush strokes which give him such a fluffy feel. I love that he is cropped like this too. It makes me feel so curious about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sly indeed. What a great fox. The strokes and colors and textures are just so life like. I would agree...one of your best..haha..all of yours are the best, but he sure pulls me into the picture. Great job...at first I thought you name was scribbled in the left ear, but then saw Lissa's comment and saw the real one. Clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh love the colours! :D he is very striking :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice close up of your sly fox!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous fox, Michael! Lovely, rich colours.

    I was late with mine and it's still very much a work-in-progress, I'm afraid. I just didn't get time to finish it but hope to post the finished piece next week. It's been such a busy week with another busy day ahead for me.

    OH yes, at first, I couldn't find your signature and then, suddenly, it just jumped out at me. Clever way to conceal it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that your fox totally took my breath away. Fantastic! The texture of the fur is so wonderfully done. Used the hints by others to find your signature. It blended in so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous fox! I'd almost say he could be shy, rather than sly, but of course one can never tell for sure with foxes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lot of strokes, Michael. Beautiful result. Thanks for putting up the link. I didn't see your signature until I read the hints. Clever.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should have thought to save a copy of my original comment but here goes...

    Mum first moved to Port Dickson in 1949 where she first met my Dad who, despite being from the free State of Ireland, served in the British Army as an Arms Instructor and jungle Scout. Mum's father was stationed in Malaya.

    Dad served in the 13th/15th Hussars and, due to a foot injury had to have surgery and spent a few weeks at Cameron Highlands recuperating. That would have been some time in 1949. He was transferred back to England, then Germany, then back to Malaya where he served with the 15th/19th Hussars. My parents lost touch for a bit apart from letters.

    Mum and Dad met back up in Taiping and were engaged around 1953. In 1955, they were married in Port Dickson and honeymooned in Penang. In 1956, they moved back to England where Dad was demobbed due to his foot injury but reenlisted in 1957.

    They went back to Epoh, Malaya in 1959 when I was only 6 months old. Unfortunately, Dad's foot injury was too serious so he was demobbed again and went back to England in 1960.

    For around three years, my Mum's sister and two brothers were at the boarding school in Cameron Highlands while they were in Malaya. The family also spent holidays there. My Grandfather was an officer in the Malay Regiment, then Federation Regiment. My Aunt and her husband who both served with the RAAF were stationed in Singapore.

    Do you think your Mum would have been in any of those areas around the same time? It will be interesting to compare.

    Cheers,
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magnificent red fox Michael - I would purchase a whole box of cards!!!
    Here's looking at you - those eyes!!!!

    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michael that's a wonderful image! Animals are always about the eyes, aren't they? You really caught something in them here. I love the overall style and the results are stunning. And I never would have "found" your signature there if you hadn't challenged us to look for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Michael! This is wonderful. Such a great way to express fur. The layering of colors and all the lines really make it pop to life. I find fox hard to draw and there is no mistaking what you have created, a wonderful striking fox.

    I have been away since I posted my fox, so time for me to visit every one now.
    Good weekend to you two!

    ReplyDelete